BEEF BOURGUIGNON WITH PARISIAN MASH POTATO
- Marinate beef in clean non-metallic bowl with red wine, bouquet garni, and garlic overnight.
- Just prior to cooking, strain red wine and remove the bouquet garni. Set aside wine & bouquet garni for later use.
- Season beef lightly with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish, sear beef on each side on high heat. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat oil in the same dish. Add spring onions, carrots, celery and speck, and fry until golden. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- Add beef back into dish. Add the stock, mushroom, and red wine and bouquet garni (from step 2). Bring to the boil.
- Transfer to the oven and bake, covered, for approximately 1.5hrs until the meat is softened.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a large saucepan of simmering salted water until tender, then drain.
- Using a tea towel to hold potatoes, peel the potatoes while they are still warm, and then pass them through a potato ricer into a large non-stick sauté pan.
- Place milk and cream in a saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until it is almost to the boil, then remove from heat.
- Stir potato over low heat, for 1 minute, then add the cream mixture and butter, in batches, folding together with a wooden spoon until the mash is smooth and fluffy. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground nutmeg.
- When beef is almost ready, put vegetables and speck into the dish, braising till beef is tender.
- To serve, spoon the beef bourguignon onto a plate and serve with a side of Parisian mash.